Welcome to the Ericson Public Library’s 1,000 BOOKS BEFORE KINDERGARTEN!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Ericson Public Library 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- REGISTER AT THE LIBRARY or ONLINE: Pick up program materials at the library or print the logs from HERE
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle or write down each book you read with your child on your reading record. Feel free to use the free app (iOS and Android) 1000 Books Before Kindergarten By 1000 Books Foundation to track your progress and your books, too!
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special reward. Start a new reading record for your next 100 books!
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, see your child’s name placed on the 1,000 Book Wall of Fame, and receive your child’s certificate and the opportunity to put a bookplate with his or her name on it in one of the books in the library collection!
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build literacy skills. Visit Ericson Public Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten! Click HERE for our library's booklist, or for more ideas click HERE for the official 1000 BOOKS reading list!